A pulpectomy is a dental procedure to remove the entire pulp from a primary/baby tooth, including the pulp in the root canals. It is performed to relieve the pain associated with an infection and prevent tooth extraction.
It is typically done when a tooth’s pulp is severely infected or damaged, often due to extensive decay or trauma. Pulp tissue is the innermost layer of a tooth.
During a pulpectomy, the dentist at Smayate Dental Clinic Delhi will remove the infected or damaged pulp, clean and shape the root canals, and then fill them with a biocompatible material to seal off the canals and prevent reinfection.
Signs that a child may need Pulpectomy – Pulpectomy Treatment Delhi:
Below given are some signs of pulp injury and infection:
- Persistent unexplained pain.
- Pain during the nighttime.
- Sensitivity to hot and cold.
- Tooth discoloration (due to injury to the pulp).
- Swelling or redness surrounding the affected tooth.
- Unexpected loosening or mobility of the affected tooth.
Why not extract a tooth?
It is a common belief that, since baby teeth will eventually fall out anyway, there is no reason to keep them. Baby teeth serve various purposes, such as preserving the space for permanent teeth. Early loss of baby/primary teeth can lead to problems with the alignment of the permanent teeth.
Moreover, baby teeth aid in developing clear speech, proper chewing of food, attaining good nutrition, and boosting the child’s confidence and appearance.
Pulpectomy Vs. Root canal treatment – Pulpectomy Treatment Delhi:
A pulpectomy completely removes the pulp from a tooth’s crown and roots. The resulting space is filled with a material the body can naturally reabsorb because the permanent tooth underneath is expected to resorb the root from the existing baby tooth later. A pulpectomy is typically performed on baby teeth.
On the other hand, a root canal differs in that a permanent filling is done in the root canals of a tooth, and a crown is placed on the treated tooth. A root canal procedure is usually done on permanent teeth.
How is a Pulpectomy done?
- We will perform an X-ray to assess the affected areas and evaluate the extent of pulp damage.
- Your dentist will then administer local anesthesia to numb the tooth and the surrounding structures.
- Your dentist at Smayate Dental Clinic Delhi will make an opening through the top of the tooth to access the pulp tissue and remove the infected pulp from the tooth.
- The root canals are cleaned, disinfected, and shaped using specific dental instruments. They are then rinsed and dried.
- The space in the root canals is filled with a resorbable paste, accommodating the loosening of the tooth root to make way for the emerging adult tooth.
- A filling is placed in the top part of the tooth to seal the opening.
Can a Pulpectomy be avoided?- Pulpectomy Treatment Delhi:
To prevent infections caused by cavities, it is essential to prioritize your child’s dental hygiene and schedule regular dental check-ups. By catching decay in its early stages and avoiding dental trauma, the need for a pulpectomy can be minimized. While tooth extraction is an alternative to the procedure, it is often not the most favorable long-term treatment option, emphasizing the importance of preventive measures and early intervention.
What after Pulpectomy? – Pulpectomy Treatment Delhi:
- Ensure the child doesn’t eat or drink for the first 20 minutes.
- If your child had a local anesthetic, be careful not to bite their lip or tongue until the numbness has worn off.
- On the day of treatment, stick to softer foods and avoid hard, chewy, and very hot food and drinks.
- The child should not bite down hard on the treated tooth.
- Make your child brush and floss their teeth regularly to maintain adequate hygiene.
- If your dentist at Smayate Dental Clinic Delhi has advised getting a dental crown, do not delay or ignore it.