All about flap surgery treatment Delhi
Gum problems in their initial stages can be managed with nonsurgical methods like scaling and root planing. Flap surgery treatment Delhi is indicated in advanced cases of gum diseases when all the other methods have failed to manage the issue. Now you must be thinking, what is flap? Flap is a technical term used for the gum tissue raised to cover the defects. Flap surgery treatment Delhi is a surgical treatment done under local anesthesia to address various gum problems. In the information provided below, we will briefly discuss the procedure, indications, and aftercare – brought to you by Smayate Dental Clinic.
What is Flap surgery treatment Delhi?
Flap surgery treatment Delhi is a minor surgical treatment done by our gum experts at Smayate Dental Clinic to address advanced gum diseases. In this, a flap of gum tissue is raised and placed on the areas of gum defects. It is a painless procedure done under local anesthesia to provide a hassle-free experience.
When the gum problems start, it is called gingivitis, and it can be managed with scaling. When the gingivitis spreads to the supporting tissues, it is called periodontitis. Flap surgery is needed in cases of periodontitis.
Flap surgery treatment Delhi is used to restore gum health to its optimum. If left untreated, the gum disease slowly spreads to the supporting bone, causing further complications. Advanced cases of periodontitis lead to tooth mobility and, eventually, tooth loss.
When is it indicated?
The common symptoms of advanced gum diseases that necessitate flap surgery are:
- Swelling of the gums.
- Increased teeth sensitivity due to root exposure
- Tooth mobility
- Gingival recession
- Bad breath
Goals of flap surgery
The primary aim of the flap surgery is to repair the gum damage and restore the gum health. In this surgical treatment, our experts will pull a flap and clean the diseased part of the gums. The flap can be put back in the same position after complete debridement or moved to cover the denuded roots. It is a highly effective way of combating advanced gum diseases. Regenerative flap surgery can be done where gum grafting ensures that healthy gums grow back in the same location. The choice of flap surgery is determined after examining your case clinically. A customized treatment plan is formulated based on the degree of severity of your case.
Flap surgery procedure
- The flap surgeries are done under local anesthesia. The first step is to make the gums and the surrounding soft tissues numb.
- After anesthesia, an incision is made to separate a flap from the gums
- Pulling a flap is necessary to gain access to the roots and bone
- The infected tissue is removed, and the root is cleaned.
- If required, root shaping or gum grafting is done.
- Once the cleaning is done the flap is secured back to its original position with a suture.
- Avoid hot and spicy food for a couple of days
- Switch to a soft diet during the initial healing period
- Take all the prescribed medicines
- Do warm saline rinses after 24hrs of surgery
- Avoid smoking and tobacco consumption
- Attend the follow-up visits for regular monitoring of the healing